Planning Your Visit
Kaleidoscope’s productions take place at the beautiful McPherson Playhouse in the heart of downtown Victoria. The 772 seat McPherson Playhouse opened as part of the Pantages chain of theatres in 1914. It is one of the finest examples of theatres from that period still standing.
Here is some information that may help you in planning your theatre visit:
Getting to the Theatre and Parking
The McPherson Playhouse is located in downtown Victoria at the corner of Government Street and Pandora. Click here for directions.
The theatre is easily accessible by bike and public transport, with numerous BC Transit stops located within steps of the theatre.
- Street Parking: there is pay-by-space street parking around the theatre which is free after 6 pm and free all day Sunday.
- Surface Parking Lots: there are two lots on Fisgard Street, operated by Robbins Parking. One located between Douglas Street and Government Street and another lot located in Chinatown.
- City Parkade: there is a City of Victoria parkade located on Fisgard Street between Government Street and Douglas Street.
Attending the Theatre
- Latecomers and those who exit during the performance will be seated at an appropriate break.
- In consideration of other audience members please avoid the use of scented products. We all share the air.
- Camera, audio, and visual recording equipment is prohibited
- There is no outside food and drink allowed into the theatres.
- The McPherson has a licensed bar and concession, which accepts cash and credit cards.
- The theatre lobby will be open one hour prior to the performance start time and entrance to the house will be one-half hour prior to the performance start time.
- There are water fountains available at the theatre.
Kaleidoscope strives to create a theatre experience that is fully accessible to all of our patrons. Please read below to learn about all of our accessibility accommodations. If you have ideas or requests for how we can provide a more inclusive experience, please contact us.
Patrons in Wheelchair or Who Require Mobility Accommodations
The McPherson Playhouse is fully accessible to patrons in wheelchairs. All seats for Kaleidoscope productions are reserved, so we strongly recommend advance booking for attendees requiring wheelchair seating, or who have limited mobility, are unable to climb stairs, or require seating on an aisle or near the exit. For all special requests for seating, please contact the box office at 250.386.6121.
If you require assistance in seating, particularly if you use a wheelchair or a walker, please arrive 30 minutes prior to the start time and the theatre staff will be happy to assist you.
Patrons Who Are Hard of Hearing
The McPherson Playhouse is equipped with the Sennheiser Hearing Assistance System. To obtain a headset please visit the concession. You will be required to leave a piece of identification which will be returned to you when you return the headset.
Patrons Who Need to Leave During the Performance
If you find that your young audience member needs to leave the theatre during the performance because of over stimulation or the need to move, we are pleased to offer a “Chill Zone” in the Upper Lobby of the theatre. Here, you can still watch the performance via television monitors while your young person has a large area to move around.